One of our absolute favorite “FUN” things to do is park our car and walk everywhere! We love going somewhere that doesn’t require you to get back into your car, which is one reason we love the city. You step outside and can go anywhere! So a few times a year we like to spend a night in Detroit and take lots of day trips. Some people give us a look like, “Detroit?! Is that even safe?!” It sure is! Detroit is doing some amazing things and it’s really fun to watch them rebuild. #detroitstrong
So we thought we would share some of our favorite Detroit spots if you want to plan a quick getaway to the city. Fun is one of our three keys to health! You’ve got to MAKE time for it. If you can’t even think of having fun in Detroit, you haven’t been there in a long time and we think it’s time you do! Remember, Detroit is huge! It’s a very spread out city. So some things may require you to hop back into the car. If you don’t want to, nix the ones with the symbol next to them and go for the ones with the instead. Most of the time we park and walk and then do some driving around before heading out of town.
- Renaissance Center- We stay here for our continuing education classes and its very nice! Its right on the Detroit River, so its perfect during the summer and isn't a very far walk from all the action downtown.
- Westin Hotel- This is a beautiful hotel. It's a great central location.
- Shinola Hotel- This is a very cool experience. They have recreated the feeling of an old boutique hotel, but modernized. This is a must-stay! If you're in the market for a new watch, the Shinola store is connected to the hotel. Also, if you can't part with your dog, its a dog hotel. We stayed in the Gallery. The only bummer was the turn tables are not in the room yet. It's a very cool feature of the Gallery, so make sure to stay there once they're complete. But you really can't go wrong with any room.
- Foundation Hotel- We have yet to stay at this hotel. Its next on the list for us. It's very new, but has a ton of character. It was an old firehouse converted to a boutique hotel and still has a lot of the cool features. They definitely didn't skimp on detail utilizing lots of local artifacts.
- Townhouse 👣- We recommend this in the summer because it becomes open air and has a very cool vibe.
- Besa 👣- If you're looking for an upscale restaurant with unique flavors, this is it! We absolutely loved everything we tried.
- Cannelle 👣- This is a french patisserie. If you're looking for coffee and something sweet, check this out.
- Dime Store 👣- Must stop for breakfast or brunch
- The Parc 👣- Amazing ambiance! Perfect for date night.
- Polish Village Cafe 🚗- If you are in the mood for some authentic polish food, check this out. I'm pretty sure they have never remodeled. But its worth the stop! Try the dill pickle soup.
- Bucharest Grill 🚗: This is our favorite middle eastern cafe. Their food is so delicious and is really casual. The one in Rivertown also has a little cake shop inside. Save your sweet cheat for this. They are too good!
Things to Do:
- Walk along the Detroit River - There's a skate park along the walk in the winter, fountains, park areas and a conservancy in the summer.
- Do some shopping-There are a lot of new shops popping up. A few of our favorites are: Bird Bee, Shinola, Nest, Third Man Records, Nora. Of course there’s big names like Lululemon, John Varvatos, Nike, and Under Armour.
- Hang out at Campus Martius Park (winter or summer) - This is Detroit's mini central park. In the summer its full of sand and tiki bars. In the winter, there's an ice skating rink and little warming igloos.
- Fox Theater - The Fox Theater is truly amazing. The architecture is unbelievable. Its such a fun venue for shows and concerts.
- Eastern Market - This is the largest year-round market in the US. We LOVE this market. It is completely worth a day trip. We grab coffee at Germack Coffee and mosey through the market. There's flowers galore, vegetables, fruits, local food, music and more. Its very cool!
- DIA - It's very fun to wander through the Detroit Institute of Arts. Its beautiful inside with some pretty amazing pieces of art.
- Belle Isle - In the summer, this is a lot of fun. Take lunch with you and have a picnic. There's an aquarium, conservatory and fountain that are worth a trip. This would be a good stop if you had kids with you.
- Motown Museum: It's in an old house, but is loaded with musical history!
- Old Packard Factory : This isn't exactly a fun thing to do. It looks like a war took place there. However, the plant has been purchased with plans of being restored to residences, restaurants and shops! So now is the time to see the before! It goes to show how far Detroit has and is coming.
- Little Caesars Arena : This new arena is crazy...in a good way. There's tons of concerts, hockey games, basketball games and lots more! If you feel like doing a sports bar type restaurant, check out the ones connected, like Kid Rock's Made in Detroit.
- Comerica Park : Baseball! Support the Tigers.
- The Fist : This is a famous monument in honor of the boxer, Joe Louis.
- The Spirit of Detroit : This is another famous monument for the city of Detroit.
Tell us your favorite Detroit spots in the comments below!